Join the Dallas Texas Exes For An Historic Evening:
Honoring Survivors and Heroes on The 50th Anniversary of The Texas Tower Shooting
- Exclusive Screening of the award winning film, TOWER, in honor of the 50th Anniversary of America’s first mass school shooting.
TOWER was the winner of a Grand Jury Prize at the Dallas International Film Festival, as well as the Grand Jury Prize, Audience Award, and Lone Star Award at SXSW.
This is a special sneak preview of TOWER in advance of its nationwide theatrical release.
- Pre-film complimentary cocktail reception with Hors d'oeuvres featuring Tito's Handmade Vodka
- Post-Film Question & Answer Session with Survivors & Heroes.
On August 1st, 1966, a sniper rode to the top of the University of Texas Tower and opened fire, holding the campus hostage 96 minutes. When the gunshots were finally silenced, the toll included 16 dead, three dozen wounded. Fifty years after America's first mass school shooting, TOWER reveals the untold stories of the witnesses, heroes and survivors - when the worst in one man, brought out the best in so many others.
- CLAIRE WILSON JAMES: an 18 year old freshman from Dallas who lost her unborn child and boyfriend, Tom.
- NEAL SPELCE: radio news reporter who broadcast live for the entirety of the event, and hosted the special news report carried nationally by all three networks that night.
- RAMIRO "RAY" MARTINEZ: an off-duty Austin Police officer who rushed to campus to help, Ray was the first one to reach the top of the Tower. With fellow officer Houston McCoy, Ray ended the siege.
- Filmmaker Keith Maitland: director and producer of TOWER, winner of a Grand Jury Prize at the Dallas International Film Festival, as well as the Grand Jury Prize, Audience Award and Lone Star Award at SXSW. Maitland was raised in Plano and is excited to bring this film home to Dallas.
Thank You to our Sponsors: Tito's Handmade Vodka, 98.7 KLUV, YELP, Guide Live, 1080 AM-KRLD
Price: $40/person (includes admission ticket, pre-film complimentary cocktail reception & hors d'oeuvres, reserved seating and post film Q&A with Survivors & Film Director)
5pm-6:30pm Complimentary Cocktail Reception
8:45pm Post Film Q&A with Survivors & Director
Proceeds will benefit the Dallas Texas Exes Scholarship Fund